[pct-l] A plan for detouring around the Sierras

sabra985 sabra985 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 00:45:17 CDT 2011

Due to a number of factors, I've decided to detour around the Sierras. I
know this is sacrilegious to some, but there are factors both within and
beyond my control that make this the most sensible option for my hike. The
mountains will be there, and it means that I get to ENJOY the remaining 1500
miles of my hike this year without stressing about being able to get home on
time AND I get to come back next summer. How lucky am I?!?

For those who might be facing a similar scenario in their own hikes, here's
some information that might be useful for travel planning:

1) From Walker Pass, get to Bakersfield (it's rumored that if you hitch
towards Lake Isabella, practically everyone is heading into Bakersfield
anyway, since that's the next big city on 178)
2) Take Bakersfield Amtrak to Redding (the RABA stop). The train leaves
4x/day. www.amtrak.com
3) The Redding Area Bus Authority has two buses, Monday thru Friday, which
run express out to Burney. www.rabaride.com
4) Hitch from Burney back to the trail.

Schedule-wise, it looks like it makes sense to plan to stay overnight
somewhere in Bakersfield (and get cleaned up, haha). Be on the 7:15 am
Amtrak, you arrive in Redding at 4 pm, then catch the 5:45 pm bus to Burney
and maybe the guy (or gal) sitting next to you on the bus will give you a
ride to the trail when you arrive in Burney at 7:10 p.m. Hope that helps!

~Evenstar