[pct-l] Down or synthetic (camp booties)

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Tue May 31 18:32:47 CDT 2011

Hello,

Well I would much rather prefer to carry an extra set (or two) of
socks in order to help my feet stay warm, than some disposable product
like heatpacks. Down booties are awesome and all - especially if you
are a hammock person - but in the end, I would again much rather
suffer the weight of a couple extra socks than something like a down
bootie that is dead-weight 98% of the trip. At least with an extra
pair of socks, I can use them when my others are starting to stand on
their own.

Ditch the down booties, ditch the heatpacks, and carry something that
has much more benefit - extra pairs of socks.

Also, a lesson I learned from a triple crowner is to suffer the weight
of a pair of SealSkin socks. I suffered frost bite in my feet a number
of years back and my feet are usually very hard to keep warm, but I
picked up that tip from Joe Valesko - a lesson he learned while doing
the CDT I think - of taking along the 6 ounces for a pair of
SealSkins. People will mock you for using SealSkins, but with them I
have been able to keep my feet warm! With a single pair of socks - and
no heavy wool socks, or down booties, or heatpacks! Now I carry two of
the lightest Darn Tough Socks I can find, and my SealSkins. Forget
using them to keep your feet dry, instead, use them to keep your feet
warm!

John