[pct-l] Wolves on the Oregon PCT?

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 09:14:57 CDT 2011

Oh, I don't know, Herr Metzger. I think statistically grizz and wolves
can't hold a candle to men and women relating badly badly when it comes to
their life-disemboweling potential. In fact, I thought you were referring
to men and/or women when you said: "those flesh-eating, hiker-stalking
beasts have big teeth and long claws and have been known to eat a hiker or
two."

But hey, one or two hikers in a season or a decade is a statistical
irrelevance when it comes to grizz. Driving to the trailhead we are running
a 1 in 458 chance of a fatal collision -- as we do each time we hitchhike
into town for resupply. Once we're in grizz territory we have a 1 in 50,000
chance of even getting (at most) a dirty look from grizz. This is, of
course, in stark contrast to the chances a grizzled hiker such as yourself
might have, say, along the PCT at a bar in a re-supply town snuffling
around for the evening's prey. Lots of dirty looks that night, one might
imagine. And the danger of a fatality might be higher than you think.
Caveat grizzler.

Cheers,

Charles & the Boys,
Your trail companions-to-be in 2012, who get along fine with carnivores,
omnivores, herbivores, piscivores, fructivores, insectivores, and
freeze-dried-ivores of nearly all stripes.