[pct-l] Carrying weapons

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Nov 10 13:08:50 CST 2011

On 11/10/2011 11:28 AM, J M wrote:
> I was never truly alone out there. People were watching my progress,
> more than I knew until after I got off the trail.

I think this is a very good point. In 2008, I hiked the first 150 miles
of the trail. (It was a failed thru hike attempt.) I started a week
after the kickoff because I didn't want to hike with the herd. I started
alone, and wanted to hike alone. I was never really alone. All along the
way people were watching out for me. That is just what happens on the
trail. Who was watching out for me changed throughout the hike as some
hikers passed me, I passed others, and others caught up with me.

When my knee gave out, and I was limping up Mount Laguna, I met a
section hiker who stopped by the Mount Laguna store that evening to make
sure I had made it safely. That is what people on the PCT do.

You can have as much independence and solitude as you want on the PCT,
but there will always be someone around who will be able to help out if
you get into a bind.