[pct-l] Carrying weapons

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Thu Nov 10 15:05:29 CST 2011

Carrie:

I think the suggestion to carry a weapon reflects unwarranted paranoia
that "outsiders" have about the long distance hiking experience. The
only place I would consider carrying a gun is on some trails in Alaska
and that would be for grizzlies. The truth is I carried bear spray
hiking there, which can be deployed faster thatn a gun.

I have sectioned hiked the entire PCT and was alone 95% of the time. I
also thru hiked the Colorado Trail alone as well as trails from Alaska
to Texas. I am a single female. The times that are most dicey for me
were the hitches to towns for re-supply and zero days. I minimized this
by hooking up with non-hiking friends who lived in the area and were
willing to pick me up. Many people have their parents get involved with
support of this kind for them. Also, more times than you would think
there are other hikers hitching at the same time. I also got the names
of trail angels in the areas where I needed to get off the trail and
called them up and pre-arranged for a lift. It is customary to give them
gas money. You can find these names at the post offices and other
establishments in towns along the trail that host the hiker boxes and
trail registers. Also--you can query for trail angel rides on the PCT
list serve.

Every day I would see someone on the trail when I hiked in the normal
hiking season. More people near big cities because of day hikers. It
varied from 1-2 to 12-20. An average would be 6-8. If you hike during
the winter/ very early spring there may be some days you won't see
anyone on the trail.

I have always felt safe on the trail. I carry a cell phone and check for
reception regularly. If your parents or friends are worried--get a SPOT
satellite communications device. You can push a button and it will relay
your location to pre-arranged people via the internet. It also has a
button that you can summon help from friends and a button to summon help
via 911. It is not very expensive. Many people use this. Your family and
friends can also follow your progress on Google Maps from the SPOT
tracking info. I also use the greatest of "weapons"--common sense. Don't
camp near obvious dispersed camping site party spots near roads while on
the trail. Avoid being obvious in the place you set up your tent if
there are strangers around. Feel free to refuse rides with people who
raise the hackles on the back of your neck when hitchhiking.

Good luck--check out the journals of single women on the trail at
Postholer.com and trailjournals.com. You can get a lot of tips from
reading them. I kept a journal at www.postholer.com/fireweed.

--Fireweed