[pct-l] Carrying weapons

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Nov 10 18:14:41 CST 2011

I was a solo female hiker and I kept myself solo the entire way, only
hiking with others a total of about 6 days the entire distance.
People get on my nerves after a while. That's just the way I am.

Do not listen to any folks who recommend anything to you for your
thru-hike unless they have hiked the trail. Anyone who has not
backpacked the PCT for a significant distance or at least during the
thru-hiking season within the herd has absolutely NO idea what the
experience is like. I had NO idea what it was like until I got there
and I was blown away. Wildest imaginations can't come close to what
hiking the PCT is like. Any recommendations for boots or gear or
weapons or daily miles or water treatment should be ignored unless
they come from veteran long distance hikers. Listen to the wise
people here who have hiked the trail.

I never felt safer anywhere than on the trail. I never felt a need
for a weapon of any kind against any living or inanimate thing, wild
or domestic. Hitchhiking restoreth my soul. I got to the point where
I felt scared of all the dangers lurking in town and felt relieved to
be back on the trail where life was safe again.

What you might find useful for protection are trekking poles (work
great to keep dogs away and to cross scary creeks), aluminum crampons
or microspikes, an ice axe, a bear canister where required and
possibly a cellphone and pepper spray if you are truly worried. If
you do decide to bring a gun, research how to ship it home if you
change your mind.

Good luck and enjoy your hike! It'll be the most amazing thing you
ever do.
Diane