[pct-l] Carrying weapons

Jen princessjenni31 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 18:33:43 CST 2011

I was amazed at how many people assumed that I would carry a weapon...I don't think that would have ever occurred to me to do so.  Usually that came immediately after "you're going to hike ALONE???" In a shocked voice.
I hiked four sections of trail last summer as a solo female, and for much of it didn't even have a pocketknife (gave mine away right before boarding a plane in Palm Springs-sometimes wished I had it later, but not for self defense!)

I never felt vulnerable on the trail.
I did feel vulnerable at the transit center in downtown Bakersfield waiting for the bus to get back to Tehachapi.  I saw my one and only bear on that trip the next day, but the city still seemed more dangerous to me. :)

Tumbleweed