[pct-l] Starting Mileage

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Nov 12 14:32:47 CST 2011

Good  advise Ned!!!
However, that does not hold true for everyone.....depends on the
individual and his goal.

On my   ''JMT -  thru speed hikes''  I usually stop at Wood Creek on day
one....that is about 45 miles from Whitney.

Nathan, I would, however, recommend you follow Ned's advise....he is
''Hard-Core'' and knows what he is talking about.

JMT Reinhold
Ned wrote:
Start slow, get the body in shape gradually, be sensitive to what its
telling you from your muscles, joints, blisters, etc., then ramp up the
daily mileage as the body allows.
I started with tens and twelve's for the first week, then teens for the
first month, then twenties or more as the snow and terrain allowed.
You'll have no problems doing high mileage (if that's what you want to
do) after the first two or three weeks (after this "break-in" and
adjustment period) and again in NorCal, Oregon, and southern Washington.
Go slow through the Sierra.
It is just too beautiful to fly through (and the snow and creek
crossings won't let you anyway)! "
Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director Mountain Education