[pct-l] Weapon

Carolyn Burkhart kitravensong at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 23:56:29 CST 2011

It was great to see you the other night Kellie at the PCT Trailside reading. From my years on the trail I have changed my tactics. In the 70's I carried nothing but a whistle for protection. As a solo 20 year old woman on the PCT in 1976, I was really not prepared for how to handle unwanted advances. One time was while hitch hiking from the trailhead to the food drop...I was so thankful when the two young men finally dropped me off safely. I learned from that to hitch with fellow hikers. Another time was actually a PCTer who was domineering and the other hikers tended to disappear when he showed up .  I would have benefited from listening to my intuition and reaching out to other PCTers, though they were far and few between back then, especially early in the season in the high Sierras. In both cases I would have preferred simply being wiser, listening to my intuition and reaching out to other PCTers whom I trusted, as opposed to carrying a weapon.

I have seen some solo women hike with a dog for both companionship and safety. I was thankful to have our two dogs when I was on the trail with my two youngest kids a few years ago,  just south of Lake Morena and encountered two Hispanic men, who were 'newcomers' so to speak. They were probably just fine, but I was glad we had the dogs. Then a couple days later in Cuyamaca state park a vehicle parked and two got out and rode bikes after dark on the trail right passed our campsite. Now days I would prefer to hike/camp near others the first couple of days north of the border and recommend camping a few miles away from trailheads throughout the journey.

Over the years, I eventually began carrying pepper spray, usually the middle size. In the North Cascades I carry the grizzly size early or late in the season when there are few hikers, as that is when I have had my encounters with wolves and cougars, and a friend did with a grizzly years ago. I have never had any problems with the wolves, whom I had rather close encounters with on three occasions.  I was very thankful I had it the time I did come face to face with a cougar and it was not fazed by me trying to be big and loud as we were staring each other down. Maybe it was just the hissing sound off it, but whatever it was, the powerful jet stream of grizzly size pepper spray scared off the cougar and I am most thankful...It may have saved my life.

Listening to ones intuition and connecting with other PCTers, whom one trusts, can make all the difference!

Happy Trails,

Carolyn 'Ravensong' Burkhart