[pct-l] Starting Mileage

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Nov 13 12:31:59 CST 2011

I found the PCT to be way easier for hiking than the trails I'm used
to. Sometimes I got mad at the PCT for taking so long to get up and
down mountains. 20 PCT miles are like 10 Los Padres National Forest
miles.

I think what leads a lot of people to 20 mile days right off the bat
is fear of lack of water. There was actually a whole lot more water
at the start of the trail than I was led to believe, which kind of
made me mad because I was carrying way more water and worrying about
it way more than necessary. The water report really helps, but you
still end up not trusting water sources to be there when you get
there, so you end up being fearful and conservative. I guess this is
a good thing, but I certainly could have worried less and gone way
slower at first than I thought I could.

Anyway, I left Campo at 3:30pm and slept 9 miles up the trail. I
camped at Lake Morena the next day, after 11 miles. I camped at
Cibbet Flat campground the following day for a 13 mile day. The
following day I was in Lake Morena campground where there was plenty
of water available--I don't remember how many miles that is but it's
not more than 15. After that, I kept my mileage around 15-16 up until
somewhere around Deep Creek where I started doing my first 20+ mile
days. I never ran out of water in all that time and never needed the
water caches, either. I probably passed 3-5 water sources every day
most days with a few days with less than that. I started in May in
2008, a fairly decent water year, maybe slightly above average. Not a
drought year anyway.

Diane