[pct-l] Pinched Nerves?

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:27:53 CST 2011

Greg,

Some similar nerve experiences, and the same objective (no permanent
consequences).

I have an old whiplash injury that flared up early in the hike.  A little
soreness in the neck grew to numbness and then shooting pain down the arm to
the fingers.  I modified the pack with a coat hanger wire as an external
frame and put 100% of the weight on the hip belt, and the problem subsided.
It also made hiking a breeze!

Next issue was a pain at the top of the thigh that occurred mid-hike.  Again
it increased until it was shooting down the leg.  I tried a number of ways
to reduce the pinch point under the belt, and the one that worked was to
tuck a sock under the belt in front of the hip bone.  That problem subsided
too.

The last issue was jumpy legs.  That was new to me, and developed on the
hike. If I slept on my back then the legs just bounced up and down too much
for me to get to sleep, so I've had to learn to sleep on my side (legs jump
less).

The only thing lasting beyond the hike is the jumpy legs -- they flare up
any time I get a good workout.  I haven't found a way to get them to
subside.  But that hasn't been enough of a problem to make me stop thru
hiking.

Steady Sr.