[pct-l] Crossing river suggestions

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 16 15:38:01 CST 2011

Mountain Education will soon have a Forum or listserve of its own for
discussions along any of the topics (high sierra mountain safety) that we
teach. In the meantime, as Mango said, we do have a short list of articles
for the aspiring thru that is worth reading.

The main point of caution about crossing high flowing creeks in the
springtime high sierra is your safety.
First, avoid getting wet by scouting for a dry crossing sometimes long
distances above and below the trail's crossing. Second, if you can't avoid
getting wet, cross in the morning when the flow volume is lowest.
Third, select a crossing spot where you can see the bottom (usually a flat
section of creek) you'll be walking on and it is as free of big, nasty
boulders as possible.
Fourth, wear foot protection! You do not want to cut, hurt, or otherwise
injure your feet. If you feel it happening, it may hurt enough to cause you
to react and lose your balance right there mid-stream. Not good. Most
injuries cause cuts which become infected later, so wear suitable footwear
you have pre-established through prior experience crossing creeks that works
for you.
Fifth, maintain your balance by crossing in a group or using your poles. (We
will be getting to the point where our videos on this technique will be up
on the site).
Sixth, go slow and make each foot placement count. Do not hurry even though
your feet and legs go numb from the cold.
Seventh, put on dry socks on the other side and walk your shoes dry on your
route out before you reach snowline again.

There is a lot to this, so practice before you really need the skill! Some
of this year's thrus should chime in here with their own advice....

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150