[pct-l] Crampon/Microspike use

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 16 16:18:51 CST 2011

Sir Mixalot makes a good point. Where others go safely, you may not. Just
because many TrailJournals, for example, say, "I never needed an ice axe or
boots" doesn't mean that they may not help make you feel a bit safer.

Those of us who spend a lot of time in the wonderland of snow have had a
fall or two we regret. I fell on a steep traverse of the PCT in the Tahoe
area last spring injuring my neck, back, knee, and ankle. If I had been
using my KTSs, I would have had sufficient traction and grip to prevent the
fall!! In the same situation and snow condition, Microspikes would have
simply rolled right off my boots.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education