[pct-l] Boots

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Nov 16 19:24:20 CST 2011

Since your subject line was boots, this message probably won't help you.

Lately there's a lot of interest for minimalist hiking shoes and
Vibram 5 Fingers. Usually the VFFs don't work out too well for people
long term on the trail. I haven't heard if the other minimalist
shoes, like the Trail Gloves or similar work out well.

There's a new one out from Altra Running called the Lone Peak. I
recently bought a pair. They aren't as minimal as other shoes but
they are more minimal than ordinary trail running shoes. The sole is
a little thinner but not super thin like minimalist shoes. There's
cushioning. There's no arch support and they are zero-drop--no heel
rise or toe spring. The toebox is supposedly wide but my freakishly
wide feet could argue with that a bit. Still, with the insoles
removed, my EEEE width feet fit in the ladies model in my size.
That's unheard of for me to wear ladies shoes in my size.

I've been wearing them around and on some day hikes and I think
they're terrific. Might be an option for someone considering
minimalist shoes who is willing to admit that under some
circumstances, a little cushioning is a plus. Might not be an option
if your feet are super wide.

Diane