[pct-l] Backpack

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 11:43:06 CST 2011

Great gear list Jeffery.  Many of the most popular items on trail from
packs and tents are made by small companies that don't sell through REI and
other big distributors, and because it is so important to know your
personal fit and comfort level with a particular piece of gear, I highly
recommend making your way out to the Kick Off (ADZPCTKO, Annual Day Zero,
Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off) held at the end of April at Lake Morena CA,
near the Mexican Border, and a day or two up trail from Campo.  Many of the
gear manufacturers are there with tents and tarps set up and packs to be
properly fitted to you.  The stuff is expensive and you want it fit right.

That being said, some of my favorite gear was the Western Mountaineering 20
degree bag and their flash jacket and down pants.  I'm old enough to have
really loved all that stuff in the weeks of snow we lived on in 2010.  I
used and still love my old Wanderlust tarp tent, now 13 years old at least.
 It is now being made by another small company, and I can't remember the
name, but they were there at KO.  Probably the most commonly seen pack on
trail in 2010 was one of 3 made by ULA, (Ultra Light Adventures), either
the CDT, Circuit or Catalyst, at approx. 1lb, 2lbs and between 2.5 and 3
lbs if I'm remembering correctly.  But there are a number of great
lightweight packs out there, and you should try them on if possible and
carry a weight.  Find a person nearby who has one and borrow it for a bit.
 Yesterday, Mendo Rider stopped by on his drive north for Turkey Day, to
try on my Circuit with weight as we are similar in size.

I really liked the Thermarest Neo Air, air mattress, as did others, but
some reported leaks, mine did fine and again this year was fine, and in my
opinion so much more comfortable for an older back than a pad.  I used a
simple cat can alcohol stove as I have been for 15 years, and highly
recommend the Katoola KTS aluminum crampons for the snow sections.  They
worked well with the Montrail Sabino trail runners I used (no blisters all
the way to Canada, and they dry quickly after the frequent stream crossings
in the Sierra.  Also, I carried a lightweight trekking umbrella which I
used extensively in the deserts for sun, rain and snow, (the coldest parts
of the trip for me were some times in the southern mountains and deserts).
 I could have shipped that umbrella north to WA where I again used it a lot
for incessant rain and drizzle.  It kept my upper body and pack dry and
allowed me to take pictures in the rain.

Keep reading this list, as the gear discussions that get going are worth
the price of admission.

Have fun prepping for a great adventure.

Shroomer