[pct-l] Deep Creek Detour

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:18:31 CST 2011

I think that the difference is that the PCTA, the organization whose
representative 'closed' the trail, I believe can really only do so in an
advisory capacity.  The prohibition against ATV's I think is regulatory,
but I could be wrong.

I will say that with respect to closures the Deep Creek posting cost the
PCTA credence as far as the hikers I was with were concerned.  The story
about the boy who cried wolf comes to mind. A closure should be reserved
for an actual threat to safety beyond what one normally encounters on the
trail as a whole, rather than an impact on the trail which fails to
increase the risk of it's use to what is routinely encountered on other
sections.  A warning, rather than a closure, with detour offered as a
choice,would appear to have been more appropriate in this particular case.