[pct-l] Crater Lake resupply

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:05:39 CST 2011

Resupply there is hit-or-miss.  The store is a C-Store geared towards
car-driving tourists.  However, if you're not a picky eater, you could
resupply there - you just might be eating Kraft mac-n-cheese and pop tarts
for a while.  Also, if you're behind a group of hikers who have just
resupplied, then your choices will be even more limited.

The store accepts maildrops for no fee.  It's open every day.  So, it sort
of makes sense to just send a package there.  You'll definitely be taking
the short side trip to Mazama, because there is a restaurant right by the
store, and thru-hikers are incapable of missing an all-you-can-eat buffet.

The Mazama campground is a pay campground.  If you don't want to pay, you
can just go back to the PCT and camp for free.  I prefer to hike up to the
Rim and stealth-camp overlooking the Lake (shhhh, don't tell anyone about
that!  hee hee).  Watching the moon rise over Crater Lake was amazing.

Honestly, it would be hard for me to take a zero at Mazama knowing the Rim
(and the walk around the Rim) is only 5 miles away.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com