[pct-l] ED compensation

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 19:46:42 CST 2011

Andy, that's a cool way of thinking about it. I'd never thought of it that
way before.

For my part, I'm ready to renew with the PCTA, and gladly.

I did a heap of research -- comparing non-profit sector executive
compensation, with an eye to gross revenue and assets, and keeping the
comparison in "like enterprises" (organizations with a similar mission to
the PCTA). I also compared the Form 990s of all of the organizations that
showed up on the like enterprises list (Appalachian Trail Conservancy,
EcoLogic Development Fund, Grand Canyon Trust, Island Institute (Maine),
and others).

No question that the PCTA has some financial challenges -- and needs more
money. But executive compensation is not the problem. That pay is
comparable to the pay of comparable non-profit organizations. In some
important ways, we get more for the dollars we donate than do other
organizations. It is a complex picture, of course -- and one or two of the
board's financial decisions I wonder about. But that's always the case in
any organization.

All in all, three cheers for the PCTA.