[pct-l] When is the mission of the PCTA complete?

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 17:40:17 CST 2011

Respectfully submitted for the consideration of the list.

In a word:  no.

From the PCTA web site under mission statement:

"The
mission of the Pacific Crest Trail Association is to protect, preserve and
promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail as an internationally
significant resource for the enjoyment of hikers and equestrians, and for the
value that wild and scenic lands provide to all people."

Protection and preservation of the trail are an on going process - they're never "complete".

It takes a lot to maintain the trail (the preserve part of the mission statement).  It takes a lot of volunteer (and paid) time.  It takes a lot of money to properly train, equip and supply those paid and volunteer maintainers.  Some examples - it costs over 40 dollars a pop for helmets.  Our biggest volunteer day up here in Washington with the North 350 Blades (PCTA sponsored volunteer group around Snoqualmie Pass), we had over 20 volunteers out.  That's over 800 dollars of helmets alone.  Put a 50 plus dollar tool (or two - two tools per person is more typical, call it a Pulaski and shovel) in their hands.  There's another several thousand in tools.  Our brushing days - we had 2 power saws going (capital cost:  ~1500 bucks for the pair of saws and related safety equipment).  We'll burn through about 40 bucks a day in gasoline, oil and wear and tear on the saw blades when running 2 saws (we'll also clear 1/2 a mile of trail in that day - 3x to
 5x what a same sized hand lopper crew can do).  It's not cheap to maintain the trail, although with volunteer labor the cost is incredibly low compared to paid crew.

Our volunteer group is meeting with the PCTA Regional Rep in a few days to talk support for next season.  Tops on our wish list is safety equipment and training.  We need Forest Service Radios so we can call in aid in the event of an accident (we've relied on cell phones so far - but are wanting to move further into the back country where they won't work - no radios, no back country projects, period).  We need more helmets.  We need gloves and safety glasses.  We need on going training - cross cut certifications, chain saw certifications, first aid and CPR certifications, plus the myriad other skills needed to maintain the trail.  As our volunteer base has grown, we're now short on tools (this is a nice problem to have - LOL) - we need more of them - shovels, grubbing tools, loppers, razor saws, etc

So, as far as it seeming like the PCTA might be over emphasizing the fund raising aspects, I'd point out the following:  Without money, the volunteers will have no tools.  Without money, the volunteers will have no supplies.  Without money, the volunteers will have no safety equipment.  Without money, there would be no training events.  Without money, the volunteers have no horse support for deep into the back country / wilderness work parties.  And without those items, the volunteers simply can not maintain the trail.

I'd add further - without money to fund the PCTA Regional Representatives & Trail Operations staff in Sacramento, the volunteers would be lacking leadership, uncoordinated with the USFS and each other, resulting in ineffective and wasted efforts at maintaining the trail.

And all of that leads to this:  If the donors to the PCTA don't provide the necessary means, the work of preserving the trail simply won't get done.

Barry
PCT Mexico to Canada - 4/25-10/2/2006
Trail Crew Volunteer - 2009 to date.