[pct-l] 78% hike Cascade Locks to White Pass - skip Trout Lake

chiefcowboy at verizon.net chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Wed Nov 30 17:09:13 CST 2011

On my thru hike I hadn't planned on stopping at Stablers but did on a whim -
great burger.

With regard to Trout Lake, it is a distance away from the trail.  BUT, if
you happen to be going through the huckleberry fields on a weekend day (and
it's huckleberry season by the time you reach this area) it is easy to
hitch.  We saw at least 30-40 families picking berries and several were
eager to take us.  Once in Trout Lake, the store has rooms for $25 or so
which includes laundry.   The owner of the store knows just about everybody
and arranged a ride back to the trail for us.

My trail partner and I thought Trout Lake was greatly underappreciated and a
quaint place to stop.

The key is to arrive on a weekend day.

Oh, did I mention the GREAT HUCKLEBERRY SHAKES!!!!