[pct-l] Hart's Pass bad weather.......

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Mon Oct 3 11:29:12 CDT 2011

Daniel Howard Snyder (trail angel) up at Hart's Pass............

Despite the fact that the road to Hart’s Pass was declared officially
“closed”, my 11-year old firstborn, Wildabeest, named last year by Swift and
Buckeye, and I arrived at Hart’s Pass at 4:53pm. We quickly set up c...amp
and started a fire for thruhikers. And we waited…and waited…and waited. No
one showed up, so I went to bed at 11:30pm. Up early to catch those who
might have been at water five miles south, we waited…and waited…and waited.
It was cold; raining mercilessly. No one showed up, until 10:30, that is.
Then we got slammed. It was great! Between then and 2pm, we served fifteen
very cold and very wet thruhikers; two appeared borderline hypothermic. The
whole lot took turns rotating through the four-door pickup which was running
and pumping out heat full-blast. With two exceptions—one woman (unnamed) was
very sick with some lung ailment, and she and her friend called it quits—all
were gone by 2. We drove the exceptions down to Mazama at 2:30; back to camp
by 4:30, we waited again. And waited…and waited…and waited. No one showed.
Tired, we went for the tent and bed at 8:30pm. Before we reached it, three
cold, wet, hungry voices shivered through the dark, “Is this the trail
magic?” Three more! Dinner, sleep, breakfast...they left at 10:30am, in
sunshine. Fifteen minutes passed and we had our last hiker, who said she
needed "some protein". After several sausages and some ground sirloin steak,
she ran off to catch up with the three. We left at 2pm. 19 total is pretty
good for 44-hour trail magic. We left the tents up and a gas lantern for
those coming through this week. It’s supposed to snow hard and get nasty.
Hopefully, we can retrieve the gear next weekend, and do more magic. All the
best, Serpent Slayer.

Reported to me this morning.

PCT MOM