[pct-l] Long distance hikers and $

Sue Kettles sue.kettles at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 00:43:19 CDT 2011

Your story is so encouraging to me.  I am also 54 - and took the married
with family route.  My limitations with hiking have to do with family needs
rather than job/money issues.

I tried to hike the PCT this year - only made 1000 miles of it mostly due to
the snow conditions I didn't want to deal with.  My husband graciously had
said to go for it this year-he wants me to live out my passions best as I
can.  He has life-time injuries and chronic pain that keep him from any kind
of hiking.  It was very hard for him to have me gone for 3 months, so I
doubt I can talk him into another try at it for another few years.  After
all, I was the one out having fun and he's staying in life routine and goes
to bed alone at night. When you have a mate with different life needs and
ambitions - it is very difficult if you want to stay married, which I do.

We married at 21 - far to young for me since I did not even know I had a
backpacking and adventure passion then.  Marriage of 33 years, 4 adult
children and 3 grandchildren, I have to/want to work within the system of
family obligations, needs and desires. I told them all last year - "there
will be no marriages, no babies, and no surgeries this year because it is
going to be the summer of Sue...please."  I must say that all of my family
was totally behind me and cheering me on the whole time.  2 of my daughters
came for several weeks - one for almost the whole time.  She intended to go
for 1 week and loved it so much, she just stayed.  Isn't that cool?

I envy your freedom.   I'm making due the best I can with compromise.

But it can work if you make it work.  Whatever your "challenge" is - if you
want it, you will do it.

I am very happy that you get to do the PCT next year - YOU WILL LOVE IT!!  I
had the time of my life.

And somehow, I will be back, because my desire just won't go away.

Sue (Sister Sue/Hatchet Jack)