[pct-l] how do long distance hikers make a living?

Derek Fohs derekfohs at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:40:34 CDT 2011

I do taxes and have several clients that call themselves "travelers". They are nurses, respiratory therapists, and similar medical professionals that take on short term contracts around the country. When working OT and night shifts they usually make $90K+. But again, they are mostly 20-30 somethings that haven't settled down with family and mortgage obligations.

I've figured out that my job allows me to spend 1-2 weeks a year section hiking the PCT without sacrificing family vacation time. I hope to do it with continuity year after year after year without driving friends/family crazy with obsessive PCT behavior.