[pct-l] Seeking Advice for SOBO water sections A-D!!!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Oct 11 20:27:05 CDT 2011

We had some rain last week. That should have helped things out a
little bit.

As a life-long Southern Californian, I can assure you that most of
the time some sources are indeed dried up. Doesn't mean you can't
hike this section. Much of the water comes from piped springs, much
of it comes from sources that ought to still be running, some of it
can be had from gas stations or hotels, and then some of it will
definitely be out-of-season. Pretty much like a dry spring season.

Knowing where to get water when it's all dried up is one reason I
really liked the Wilderness Press guide book. It had that sort of
info. I don't know if Halfmile's maps do or Yogi's book, but if it
does, then just prepare yourself for those off-trail detours for water.

Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to doing some backpacking next
month. November is a great time to hike in So Cal. Maybe not on the
PCT, but the beauty of fall surpasses that of spring, at least for
taking pictures. The weather is great, too.