[pct-l] Where do you put it?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 15:05:15 CDT 2011

Critters, bears and rodents, etc will be attracted to food smells.  I rode a horse on the PCT for over five months.  I always  put my saddle, saddle bags, cantle bag and pommel bags, piled up and covered with a tarp, at least 15' from my tent ( I usually set up just the insect netting part of my tent unless my barometer indicated that it might rain - then I also set up the rain fly.  Sometimes, when insects were not a problem and little likelihood of rain I didn't set up the tent).  I discovered that ZipLock bags did not contain food smells from the super-noses of rodents so I switched to using OpSaks for all food. I have never had a rodent problem using those sacks.  In areas where bear visits were a possibility I also used "bear charms" (cotton tobacco sacks with mothballs inside) to surround the food and also my sleeping spot.  Bears dislike the smell of mothballs - they don't consider that smell to be something to eat. Think of it as a
 bear repellent.  If I have any food inside my tent it will be stored in OpSaks.  I also surround my tent with a circle of bear charms - about 15' away and spaced about 15' apart.  I would like to mention that while bears dislike the smell of mothballs, rodents are not repelled by it. That has been my experience.  The OpSaks, properly sealed and if you are careful not to get food smells outside the sack, effectively eliminate rodent problems. I have done experiments in my rodent-infested S. California barn to prove this. When riding through parts of the Sierra where Bear Canisters are required by law I used them.  I brought two.

MendoRider