[pct-l] Backpack items

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 14 20:05:38 CDT 2011

In my opinion, REI is good for clothing, hats, shoes, socks. But for
gear, I go with ULA, Gossamer Gear, Tarptent, 6 Moons designs,
Western Mountaineering, Go-lite etc. But that's just me.

The Osprey packs are very nice, though. I'd try get one on the small
side rather than the big side. Something below 4lbs if at all
possible. The Osprey pack you list below weighs over 6lbs! The tent
is over 3lbs! The bag almost 3lbs. That's more than 13 lbs before you
put in anything else! Yikes! All my gear weighed less than that.

Diane