[pct-l] I failed my thru hike this year!!!!!!

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Oct 18 20:03:06 CDT 2011

Because I'm a section hiker I have started long hikes four or five times
in the last 20 years.  Michael's list is pretty good, but

#10 - hiking alone, is pretty much an individual choice.  Most people
hook up.
#9 -  I haven't hiked from the border heading north, but I've hiked from
Manning heading south, and trying to make miles is a huge mistake for
anyone not in half-marathon shape.  Start slow, and nurture the body and
its parts.  8 or 9 miles a day for a week or so will give over to 12 for
the next week, and 14 for the next.  Spend two nights a week for the
first four to six weeks in a motel if you can afford it, or the tent
next to a stream.  Cherish the body and listen to it.
#7 - There is no reason to EVER carry more than five or six days of food
(except for the Sierra).
#6 and #5 and #3 - I'm a 59 year old section hiker and it's worth the
money (which I have) to get my base weight to 15 pounds or lower.  When
my pack is less than 20 pounds I don't feel it.
#2 - It is NOT necessary to condition properly before a trip.  I know
I'm going to get yelled at for asserting this.  Remember, HYOH, and
everything lies on a continuum.  If you aren't in condition, six miles a
day for a week is a good start...

Thanks Michael for sharing your experience...

Jeff, just Jeff...
Martin, SD, where it's getting down to 26 degrees tonight...