[pct-l] 10 Good uses for ''Dead Hiker Husbands''

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Oct 18 20:50:16 CDT 2011

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold wrote:  I woke up this morning and realized I turned 71.....BUMMER!!!  That made me realize, you and I, we are getting old...I mean we go back a long way. We are part of the dying hard core breed.....an endangered species.  Did you ever wonder what will become of us after we pass away?  Will they bury us, put flowers on our graves and mourn for decades to come or will they rejoice and say good riddance?  Will they erect a monument to us or engrave on our head stones....here lie Switchback and Reinhold....the last of the hard core breed, who tamed the wilderness, or will they put our bodies to a good use?
Switchback replies: Yes, you are right.  The current hikers do not respect and honor us enough.  We were way before the Class of 1973.  They were late comers.  They were rookies.  They were pilgrims compared to us.  We were the original mountainmen of the Sierras.  This is why I will have no problem taking on the PCT in 2013.  All these kids have been stealing the PCT headlines.  It is time for the real pros to show how you do the trail fast and smell the roses too.  Only an original PCT mountainman could do this.  My hike will be historic and a record breaker.  I absolutely guarrantee it.  It is a done deal.