[pct-l] I failed my thru hike this year!!!!!!

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 10:24:43 CDT 2011

Hey Michael,
Thanks for sharing your post season insights as they are invaluable for
others.   I knew a few folks who started without any serious training and
made it all the way, but most who tried this did not.  Most of the ones who
did make it were young, and therein lies the rub.  Just as an idea for your
next attempt, I was 57 when I started, prone to injury when I get an
endorphin rush and go beyond what I'm actually capable of doing safely, and
therefore set some hard numbers for myself right at the start.  I trained
for months before at 12 to 18 miles per day, 3 or 4 days per week up a very
steep set of trails with easier hikes in between, but when I started at
Campo, cut back to not more that 10 mpd for the first week, 15 mpd the
second, and only allowed myself to break 20 during the 3rd week.  I felt
like I could have gone much further, but forced a stop and an easy evening.
 As a result, I never got a blister all summer, and other than some plantars
faciitis at the beginning and end of the trip, didn't suffer any serious
injury, something I'm still incredulous about.

I met a few people on this forum, all of whom wanted to start at that kind
of mileage, and stayed with one of them until the 3rd week when my mileages
out distanced hers, and we separated, but remained in contact all the rest
of the summer as good friends.

The rest of your issues you can get great insight for changing by listening
in, and asking questions, on this forum.  But I think for us 50+ folks, the
devotion to training is paramount.  Get to like it.  Hike often, and with a
pack, although, 25 lbs, not 65.  That would have killed me right from the
start.

Shroomer