[pct-l] Winter forecast for 2011-2012

Scott Parks public at postholer.com
Thu Oct 20 15:16:56 CDT 2011

Quoting Dr. Jeff Masters, senior meteorologist at weatherunderground.com:

"I'm often asked by friends and neighbors what my forecast for the
coming winter is, but I usually shrug and ask them to catch some woolley
bear caterpillars for me so I can count their stripes and make a random
forecast. Making an accurate winter forecast is very difficult, as there
is too much that we don't know. I've learned to expect the unexpected
and unprecedented from our weather over the past two years, so perhaps
the most unexpected thing would be a very average winter for
temperatures. The one portion of the winter forecast that does have a
high probability of being correct, though, is the forecast of dry
conditions over Texas and surrounding states. Extreme droughts tend to
be self-reinforcing, by creating high pressure zones around them that
tend to deflect rain-bearing low pressures systems. The unpredictable AO
doesn't affect weather patterns that much over Texas, so we can expect
that the fairly predictable drying La Niña influence will dominate
Texas' weather this winter."

His latest post makes the annual attempt to paint a portrait of what
this winter will look like.

-postholer
--
www.postholer.com