[pct-l] ice ax

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:41:01 CDT 2011

Dear Shelly

C.A.M.P.Corsa, 60cm may be a good choice. I also have CAMP ultralight
( 45cm) http://bit.ly/pfFIRz It worked very well to make a cat hole
effectively in this summer,  but snow pack was rare as I had expected.

I have no experience of winter mountaineering, but some experience of
hiking of spring mountains near my house.

In the snowy mountains, I usually wear aluminum crampons ( CAMP
http://bit.ly/gH4QHE ) and use trekking poles. In most of the case,
this combination works well. So, I did not use ice ax for a long time.
But,  I had a scary experience several years ago. It was late spring,
I usually went to the familiar mountain. Huge snow packs remained.  I
faced the thin ridge made of the hard snow ( almost ice ). I was able
to go through by crampons and trekking poles. But, from this
experience,  I added the ultralight ax to the combination of crampons
and trekking poles.

The short ax is only efficient at the very steep terrain. It is
useless in most of the time. So, I  switch the trekking pole to the
ice ax when I  confronted to the steep ridge.

The ultralight ax is very light, so you cannot  hammer effectively it
into the hard snow ( or ice ). But it is easy to carry and it is
effective to the normal snow pack.

The long ax is effective most of the time, because it can be used as a
trekking pole. But if you use trekking poles, it may be difficult to
have a good command of the switching between the trekking pole to the
ice ax.

I had only learned the usage of ice ax from the mountaineering books,
but it will be recommended to join some winter training.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )