[pct-l] 3 Proven Long Distance Hiking Methods

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 19:02:32 CDT 2011

MendoRider wrote: Reinhold, I am one of those who appreciate the humorous banter between yourself and Switchback. Your third proven long distance hiking method. Chickens on a leash - imagine, roast chicken and fresh eggs on the trail - a great YOLK. It really made me laugh. Of course, Switchback must have a rooster along to ensure reproduction so he won't run out of chickens before reaching Canada. Only one big problem that is obvious: Wouldn't it slow Switchback down from his usual 42 mile per day pace? Our hero could get to Canada only by allowing several seasons - - - .
Switchback replies: I will get to Canada on my 2013 record breaking thru-hike so fast that I will not need any chickens or anything else.  I will accept no Trail Angel support along the way.  It will be me against the elements.  I might let Scott go with me if he is up to it.  I don't want him to slow me down, so I have to think about this.  I like Scott a lot, but friendship only goes so far.  May be Super Senior Unsupported JMT Reinhold could be our porter and coolie if we really were feeling generous to the old timers crowd.  We could bring along a couple of whips to lash him up the switchbacks if he starts to tire and slow down.  There will be no breaks on this hike.  You got a break if you were lucky enough to be picked to go on it.