[pct-l] Oregon trail/PCT

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 23:34:23 CDT 2011

There's another Oregon Trail.  In the mid-1980's, William Sullivan plotted a route that would take him through all the major wilderness areas in Oregon.  It started at Cape Blanco and ended at Hell's Canyon.  He called it the "New Oregon Trail."  (I call it the "Trans-Oregon Trail" to avoid confusion with the historical Oregon Trail.)  It shared tread with the PCT from the Siskiyous to Sugarpine Ridge just south of Mt. Jefferson.  He hiked it beginning in...August if I recall correctly.  It's a little over 1300 miles long, half the length of the PCT and it took him a little over three months and that was before there was such a thing as ultralight gear.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR