[pct-l] Neo Air on sale

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 11:21:08 CDT 2011

Charles wrote:

1. How did you manage or prevent the easy puncturability -- which apparently
really comes into play in Southern Cal?
2. Was there an easy way to find the leak & patch on the trail (hopefully
not involving immersing in water)?

I bought a very thin and light foam pad (the 1/8" thinlight pad from
Gossamer Gear) to use with my NeoAir.  I use it as a sit or lie-down pad
alone during the day(always the same side down on the ground, top side stays
clean), and at night I put it under my NeoAir for a bit of extra insulation
plus some protection against sharp stuff that I may have missed.  Like
others, I put a lot of attention into caring for the NeoAir and I've never
had a problem with it.

The quality of sleep I get makes the hassle totally worth it.  I know some
people get along with just a thin foam pad but not this hiker.

As for fixing it once you have a leak, immersion is by far the best option.
Otherwise you can mix up a bit of soapy water and spray or dab it on the
areas you suspect might have a puncture - if one is there, it'll probably
create bubbles.  That's not a really great option either, though, since a)
it makes a mess and b) not many thrus carry soap with them.

Eric