[pct-l] inflatable pads on the pct

Justin West cjustinwest at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 16:35:33 CDT 2011

 Charles,
I just wrapped up 1455 miles on the PCT with a 8 year old thermarest prolite
short pad.  it had no holes previously and still doesn't.  I didn't cowboy
much (maybe once a week) and that was bare ground (no tyvek or anything
underneath).  For me the most important thing is to prepare your site well,
*know your plants*!  If you are camping under jeffrey pine or canyon live
oak for example you better take the time to get those spiny scale and/or
leaves out from under where your pad is going.  Also.  they have vastly
improved the bottom surface fabric of those prolite pads.  Make sure that
abrasion resistant side is ALWAYS down.  Lastly, I don't know if it helps or
not, but I always inflate my mat 'blue in the face' full.
I would occasionally use it at night to sit on while cooking (inflated half
full), lean against granite etc.  No problems, but again, take the time to
make sure you aren't just dropping it down on a decomposing opuntia or
something.
when i was 19 I did the AT on a 3/8 inch foam mat.  Now just 12 years later
I don't think I would have enjoyed that the same way I did then.  The light
thermarests for me do just fine now.
best
justin west
www.storythewalk.wordpress.com