[pct-l] Desert Night hiking.

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:33:21 CDT 2011

Nathaniel wrote:

Thoughts about hiking in the desert at night?.... Is it safe? Recommended?
Or not...? I've heard that it can get pretty hot and nasty from 11 til 5...
so what about starting early, 5am and hiking til 11, sleeping, and then
hiking from 5 til 1 am.... good idea? or not?

Yup, that's exactly what many people do when it's brutally hot.  The only
major problem is that you start getting sleep-deprived after a while (it's
hard to get good sleep in the middle of the day) but you usually don't have
to do it for very many days consecutively.  And I guess it's a little harder
to spot rattlesnakes in the dark, but I don't know much about that.

Eric