[pct-l] Desert Night hiking

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 8 08:37:19 CDT 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Nathaniel Morse wrote:

>  Isn't about 700 miles, desert?  And I guess weather and temp
> depends on the
> year...

A trip to San Jacinto last spring during thru-hiker season (May):
http://tinyurl.com/4y548ky

I took pictures around Big Bear a few weeks later (also in May) but I
guess I never posted them online. It was snowing. There were big pine
trees. It was delightful around Deep Creek.

Hiking the trail near Wrightwood in 2008 during thru-hiker season I
was stuck in Wrightwood for 3 days waiting for the blizzard to stop:
http://tinyurl.com/44hn5wm

Here we are at the Cottonwood bridge in the middle of the Antelope
Valley/Mojave desert section resting in the freezing hot sun:
http://tinyurl.com/3og7s8l

It's only desert some of the time. I always get a laugh when I
remember this one lady from 2010 telling me how much she loved the
desert while she was standing in the pine trees on Mt. Laguna. Looked
just like the pine trees around Old Station. Which reminds me, I was
dying of heat prostration around Northern California and Oregon. You
want hot? Try Northern California!

You'll have some hot days in So Cal and there won't be a lot of water
along the trail. Prepare for single-digit humidity and a wide range
of temperatures, sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes snowing or
freezing rain, but mostly perfect but windy. It cools off every night
instantly as soon as the sun goes behind a mountain. Then it stays
cool for most of the morning. Get up early to take advantage of the
cool morning hours. Take a break in the middle of the day if it's too
hot for you. It'll probably be in the 80s to mid-90s. Then hike on
into the evening when it's comfortable again. Some people hike into
the night but very few people find it necessary to hike in the middle
of the night. Besides, you need to sleep and nothing could be more
awful than trying to sleep when it's hot and sunny and there's
nowhere to lay yourself but under a chamise bush where ants and flies
will have their way with you.

And to answer your first question, sure it's safe to hike at night
but it's not necessary. I'd save it for a full moon.