[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Sep 21 13:20:59 CDT 2011

I don't know the numbers, but after following each year's class since 1982,
I'd say that the completion percentage has not gone up much. We used to
consider it to be about 25%. I hear that it may be around 30%, now. I would
have thought that all the lighter pack weights, better logistics, more input
from past hikers on pre-training, trail angles, water caches, and the like
would have done more to improve the percentage, but what we see is that
there are still a lot of "rose-colored glasses" out there during the
Planning/Preparation stage.

Translated, hikers with only multiple short-trip experiences think they will
have no problem at all with a 5 or 6-month adventure like the PCT or CDT.
Most have never even snow-hiked and figure they can "just learn from someone
else on the trail" as they naively plan from their dry homes and imagine a
dry, summer trail all the way to Canada. Yes, it can be like that, but the
window of opportunity is narrow, time-wise, and necessitates fast walking
over tough ground in all conditions. If a thru hike planner knows from
experience that they can do that, go for it! But there's that
word--Experience!

Get it before you go!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director