[pct-l] Sierra Navigation!

Sir Mix-a-lot atetuna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:04:58 CDT 2011

It's very easy when there's no snow, but we won't know what the snow
situation will be like for several more months, yet we still won't know what
the snow will be like when the herd gets there.  In any case you'll probably
get there a couple months later, which will melt a lot of the snow.  Even if
there is still plenty of snow left, there should be footsteps to follow and
you can always link up with a group.  After a while the trail becomes easier
to find even under snow because you get a feel of where the trail should be
and you'll recognize more signs that indicate where the trail is...and 700
miles in southern California will give you plenty of time to improve your
map & compass skills.

If you're going nobo and considering altering your start date because of the
snow situation in the Sierras, I don't think that's a good idea.  There
could be record high levels of snow, but the snow could melt early and
quickly, but the opposite could also happen.