[pct-l] Causes of dropping a thru hike attempt

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 19:17:01 CDT 2011

Lots of folks have already hit the points that I agree with on this subject.

Disclaimer:
Probably a TL / DR post

What follows is IMO.

Remember, opinions are like pie holes, every one has one.

Free advice is worth what you pay.

Here's my 2 cents worth.

YMMV.

HYOH.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here's what it takes to complete a thru hike (the corollary to causes of dropping).  I'd say it's about:

75% mental - keep the head in the game and the eye on the prize****

20% physical - take care of yourself and your body will get you there

5% logistical - you have to fuel the fire and stay clothed and shod.

Lots of folks drop because the lose motivation, or simply weren't motivated to begin with.  If you're motivated, you'll find a way to keep going when it's hot, cold, raining, snowing, you're walking on snow for days / weeks at a stretch, the mossies suck, you haven't seen anyone for 3 days....you name it.  Motivation is KEY.

Physical - lots of chatter on the specific injuries, but think of it this way.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  You MUST take care of yourself on the trail.  Proper hygiene will eliminate the risk of water borne (or feces contaminated hands) disease.  Proper nutrition will go a long way toward alleviating the repetitive stress type injuries - IF you body has the raw materials to repair itself - the protein, vitamins, minerals and adequate caloric intake.  Listening to your body and taking zeros when you need them is critical.  Replacing your foot wear before it gets to a stage of critical breakdown will reduce the chance of your body breaking (stress fractures, etc).

Look at where a lot of folks drop out - in my anecdotal experience (avid trail journal reader 2003-2005, thru hiker in 2006, less so on the TJs since then) it seems like lots drop about the first week or so.  They're the ones who weren't mentally prepared to be there in the first place - couldn't stand to be away from home / significant other / hike every day making miles, etc.  Or they just simply didn't have the body or physical preparation and end up hurt in Warner Springs or Idyllwild.  It happens.....meh.

If you get past here, there seems to be a lot that drop after about a month.  It seems like these folks just aren't having fun anymore (when they realize a thru hike is a lot of physical work and it goes on, and on, an ON and I've been at this for how long and Canada is STILL so far away).  Or, their nutrition is so terrible, they've already destroyed their bodies by then - lost 20-40 lbs (aka running a 3000+ calorie a day deficit with a typically corresponding protein and vitamin / mineral deficiency).

Then there's another wave of drops at the entrance to the high Sierra - yeah, them mountains are big, snowy and scary and the fords scare the daylights out of some folks.  Discretion is the better part of valor - if you can't nav on snow and the fords scare the daylights out of you, perhaps it's best to come back and hike it in late August instead of early / mid June.

Another wave drops about 1/2 way, give or take - "What, I've been at this for HOW long and I'm only 1/2 way.  Forget it, I'm going home".  There seems to be a lot of folks also getting injured in Nor Cal.  If you've been a bit behind on your food and nutrition, here's where it'll catch up to you - it's like hitting the wall in a marathon.  One day you're fine, a few days later you've cratered and fallen apart.  Yeah, you were eating ALMOST enough, but by this point, your reserves are down to practically nothing after 2-3 months.  You need to have learned how to eat a balanced diet of 4,000-6,000 calories a day by or before Tahoe.  If not,  if you're deficient in protein, calcium, calories, etc you'll break down.

**** - On that keeping the eye on the prize.  DON'T fixate on Canada, especially in So Cal.  It's too far away, at least until you cross the Columbia into Washington.  Break down the hike into more manageable goals.  My goal was ALWAYS to get to the next town.  The bed, shower, clean clothes, food and beer that the town represented were my mental reward.  After that very short term goal - typically every 3 to 5 days, I had medium term goals.  Get to the Saufley's in Auga Dulce was the first one.  Then to Kennedy Meadows.  Then make it through the High Sierra to say, Tahoe.  Once in Tahoe, the 1/2 way point at Chester was within reach.  Then, FINALLY, I could look forward to Oregon.  And doing Oregon was a goal unto itself.  Finally, I got to the point where I could think about getting to Canada when I arrived in Cascade Locks.