[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 21:39:12 CDT 2011

> Good advice all.  For me the most important thing was hiking, hiking and
> more hiking long before hitting trail.  I'm in the older age group and don't
> have the bounce back day after day [...]

Shroomer, this is very good advice, too, but some people (like me) can't
just go walking to build up endurance because our acquired "natural"
gait is so dysfunctional that using it as a foundation for endurance
will almost guarantee an injury at some level of mileage.

(Most peoples' lifestyles impose very little stress on their body
compared to a thru-hike, so it's common to find a great deal of latent
movement dysfunction that only becomes painful or injurious when the
miles start.  The good news is this dysfunction can usually be spotted
and treated *before* it becomes painful, although finding a competent
therapist and convincing people to visit before the onset of pain is tough.)

Learning how to walk and run more efficiently--like the barefoot people
advocate--goes a long way to reducing the impact of each mile on your
body.  I was shocked to find myself hiking without shin splints and
metatarsal pain after "just" a change in my gait, especially because I
did almost no physical training for my thruhike.  However, some people
may have deeply rooted movement dysfunction that needs to be directly
addressed with a period of therapy in order to improve their hiking
movement to the point that a thruhike won't likely cause injury.  This
may involve, for example, going back to more developmentally basic stuff
like crawling or segmental rolling to get at the root of the problem.

Bigfoot