[pct-l] "nearo" or "nero"

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Thu Sep 22 12:45:19 CDT 2011

Yogi writes:

>What is your opinion for the spelling of a day in town which is nearly a zero?

As a computer geek guy I prefer "Near0" or "Ner0" with the zero serving as the "o."

But since the allusion to Star Trek has been made, I would say that Spock would feel that the whole concept of nero is illogical. There is a significant and compelling difference between a zero day and say a hiking day of 20 miles or ten miles. Between the various lengths of hiking days, the difference is less meaningful.

So when I did my severely truncated 2010 hike, I started with the full distance from the border to Morena Lake; some 21 or so miles. Others started out slowly and did 10 miles on their first day. For me, ten miles would have been a ner0 but I'm sure those hikers wouldn't have called it that. For Smiles who averaged some 40 miles a day, my 21 miles would have been a ner0 .

So where is the cut off? It varies greatly, cannot be precisely defined and therefor is illogical.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I take a ner0"
Abraham Lincoln