[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:43:52 CDT 2011

Just repeating what others have said: The fact is that 2650 miles is very,
very long way to walk.  I think for many (though not all) people, there
comes a point where the experience of the hike moves away from, "Wow, this
is amazing, I'm living in the woods, communing with nature, on a grand
adventure!" to something more like, "Ugh, this is work.  Hard, dirty,
smelly, painful work.  This sucks."  For many people, when they make that
transition they end up questioning why they're still on the trail.  The
stubborn or masochistic ones keep hiking anyway.  The sane ones go home.
The surprise is not that so many people drop out; the surprise is that
anyone at all manages to finish.

Eric