[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 22 19:51:13 CDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> tl;dr - In your experiences what are the most common injuries and
> causes of hiker dropout?? What can we do to avoid these pitfalls??
> Any particular training we should consider beyond hiking, hiking,
> and more hiking?
>
> Any points for consideration will be greatly appreciated.

It's quite often the repetitive stress injuries that lead people to
quit due to injury early in the hike. Doing a lot of hiking will
definitely help.

As for the whole mental thing, I think it would help everyone if they
stopped thinking of quitting a thru-hike as a failure. The trail is
still there. You can always pick up where you left off, start over
and give it another try, choose to section hike instead or whatever
suits you. The all-or-nothing attitude of thru-hiking causes a lot
more emotional pain to people than almost anything else about the
experience in my opinion.