[pct-l] new down in sleeping bag

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 21:39:09 CDT 2011

Dear Shon,

I don't know how much sewing experience you have had.  I have a little bit
of talent and experience in that department and I wouldn't do it.  Sleeping
bags have hundreds of those baffles with the down inside and you would have
to rip a 4" section in each of them.  It takes a long time to rip apart a
seam without ripping the fabric along with it.  A lot of sporting equipment
is put together with a lock stitch that is a b_ _ _h to tear apart.  Also,
the fabric itself is probably old, worn in places, dirt, oils, grime
collected from the body over the years (adds to the weight of your pack).  I
would just buy a new one.  Although, you may want to experiment with taking
all the down out and only replacing the down on the top of the bag.  As the
down you sleep on squashes and you receive almost no heat benefits from the
down on the bottom.  Still, because of the old fabric and time involved
tearing apart seams, I would just buy a new down quilt from Jacks r better
(cheap) and sew a backing in it to keep out the drafts (I have been thinking
about doing that for an ultra-light bag option)

Here is something you men can relate to.  Over the years when I replace
toilet, sink or irrigation parts; I don't just replace the part that is
leaking, old, rusted or whatever.  I buy all new connection parts.  In most
cases, everything is old and if one thing goes, the rest are not far behind.

Even if you are poor, it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Toga