[pct-l] the entire distance in one go

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Sep 23 13:15:55 CDT 2011

Diane brings up a point that we've believed all along: take more time to do
a thru hike, enjoy more of what you're going through, the side trails, the
lakes, the peaks, climb a tree, lay out in the sun, etc., because you don't
know your future and whether or not you'll be able to come back.

Why blast on up the trail every day, from before sunrise to after sunset, to
get in all the miles you need to go the distance quickly because you started
in May when you could have started "earlier" giving you more time to go
slower and take in more? I know this idea of "starting early" comes up every
year and many say, "we can't start April 1st because we'll run into snow."
So. With winters like we've been having, you're going to anyway....

As Diane said, "Then there are many people who hike the entire distance in
one go, who spent the final months gritting their teeth, who never took a
side trail to see a view or soak in a hot spring, who know deep down that a
thru-hike is not necessarily the best way to take in this magnificent
trail..." especially when thru hikes are short and fast as so many do them
these days.

Just for comparison, I did the trail in 5 1/2 months at 17 miles per day
with a day off each week. I had enough time during the day to stop
frequently, take long lunches, take lots of pictures, go swimming,
bouldering, and peak-bagging, read about the flora and fauna and trail
history as I went along, explore side trails, and wash myself and clothes
without going into towns. Now, this "stay-on-the-trail" priority is not
typical of today's thru hiker, but it gave me lots of time to enjoy the
trail, and that's why I was there in the first place.

If that is why you want to hike the Pacific Crest and do it only once,
without feeling afterward that you may have missed so much as you flew
through, consider taking more time and going slower. Of course, I didn't
start either the PCT or CDT at 17 mpd. I started at 10 mpd and gradually
increased the miles as my 17-year-old body allowed. Once I was strong, I was
doing more that my needed average, because I knew that when I hit the snows
of the higher elevations, I would be hard-pressed to accomplish more than 10
mpd again.

As I grew stronger (past Yosemite), I was able to increase the miles per
day, but not by much since the snow was deep that year and lasted into
Washington (late August was when I finally saw anyone on the trail and they
were trail crew!). When you're really tuned up and it becomes "natural" to
rise early, eat, pack, and start enjoying the scenery, accomplishing daily
mileages almost twice the 17 mpd average is simple and gives you lots more
time to explore, fish, write in a journal while watching the sun go down,
and so forth. I have never felt like I needed to go back and do the trail
again.... There's so much else to do in life, and of course, there's always
another trail!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education