[pct-l] Starting Late and Feeling Great

Noah Strycker birdboy at bkpix.com
Fri Sep 23 15:43:55 CDT 2011

Hi hikers,

Having just finished the trail last week (woo-hoo!), I'd like to give a
little counterpoint to Ned and Diane's comments, especially in context of
this year's conditions. I started my hike on May 19, about two and a half
weeks after the pack had left Campo.

Looking back, I'm very glad I started so late. Those who began in mid-April
experienced dramatically different conditions in the southern California
mountains, either road-walking around them or slogging through lots of snow;
I had dry trail and perfect weather through that entire section. I entered
the Sierra on June 23rd, and, though it was an intense experience (which I
enjoyed!), it was much easier for me than for the early starters, who hit
the Sierra in early June and described raging rivers, cornices, and epic
snow - all of which had improved a lot by the time I went through. I noticed
that, of the many folks who skipped or flipped around the Sierra this year,
most were early starters, or scared off by early reports. The change in snow
and river levels over just a couple weeks was incredible.

My goal was to hike the trail in four months, and I did it in 123 days,
finishing on Sep 18. I encountered no significant precipitation on the
entire trip. If I'd started earlier or finished later, I would have been
caught in cold rainstorms at both ends. And, personally, forty-degree rain
is the most miserable hiking weather!

It sounds like a fast hike, but four months averaged out to 21.6 miles/day.
I'm not an ultralight hiker. Once you get going, that's a pretty relaxed
pace - as long as you're consistent. I only took three zero days on my trip,
whereas most hikers seemed to take at least 20. I guess people think that it
helps them rest, recover, and see the sights, but it seemed to me that zero
days usually involve the inside of a motel room, and not much else. Whenever
I did take a full day off, it sapped my energy, cost a lot, and made it
mentally difficult to return to the trail. As long as you don't overextend
yourself, approaching each day like you're going to do the same again
tomorrow, then you shouldn't ever get so tired you need a whole day off! My
biggest day through most of California was 27 miles, and my biggest overall
was 35.8 - almost all through-hikers peaked higher than that at some point,
but inevitably paid for the effort with shorter mileage or a zero the
following day (in fact, two of my three zeros were spent with an injured
knee caused by the aforementioned 35.8).

As for enjoying it, I had an incredibly awesome summer! Not once did I ever
think about quitting. I went into this hike with the mindset that only a
physical injury would stop me, and that decision meant that I never worried
about whether I was having a good enough time to continue. I just did it.
Though I took some side and alternate routes (Mt Whitney, Eagle Creek, etc),
I was usually happy to stick to the trail and make satisfying progress north
each day. My goal was to hike the PCT, not take every side route; you could
spend a lifetime exploring the various places along the way.

But please scrap the grit-your-teeth, head-down, miles-is-everything
through-hiker image. I had a blast this year, and, judging by the wide
variety of interesting people I met, so did many others. What an adventure!

Noah Strycker

noahstrycker.com/latest