[pct-l] Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 24 13:21:12 CDT 2011

Being only 5'3" tall, I found that using an umbrella in Washington,
the only part of me that stayed dry was a little patch on the top of
my head. Otherwise, I was soaking wet top to bottom even with rain
pants on (I still can't tell the difference between wet skin and wet
rain pants. Both feel wet to me.)

In Washington I was slapped in the face by all kinds of wet plants
and pushed my way through the overgrown bushes with my whole body and
my arms in front of my face trying to keep it dry to no avail. Still,
I hate getting hot and sweaty inside a rain jacket so I prefer the
umbrella to a jacket. Also nice is when it's time to camp, I take off
my pack and keep the umbrella over the pack while I set up my shelter.

I've gotten a lot of rain over the years in So Cal and have found an
umbrella great for rain in So Cal. The Go-lite chrome is really
strong in the wind. I've had it blow inside out a couple of times but
it pops back. If I hold the front with one hand it doesn't blow
inside out. I'm talking the winds around the windmills, not the kind
of light wind that blows a regular umbrella inside out.