[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

nina white nina.white at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 00:06:06 CDT 2011

At the same time, there are many people who decide happily that 500,

> 800, 1000 miles is quite enough but they get lumped into a pile with
> all the "failed thru-hikes" that others like to repeat in their
> statistics. Is it really a failure if you go out, hike an astounding
> distance few will ever complete, enjoy yourself and go home?

Thanks for posting this. It looks increasingly likely that I want to take a
job that starts August 15, 2012, most definitely cutting short any attempt
at a thru-hike. I have been starting to feel like I'm "failing" before even
beginning, and thinking that I shouldn't even start. Maybe I'll only get
through California next summer, but I that's ok. Thanks again.