[pct-l] time/distance

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Sep 28 21:55:09 CDT 2011

Trailhacker attempted to hike from Cabazon to Cajon Pass over the 4th
of July weekend. When we arrived at the Section C trailhead outside
Cabazon at 8pm it was still 102 degrees (39 Celcius). I hiked with
him for a while and we slept on the trail near Teutang Canyon. It was
very hard to sleep when it was too hot to use a sleeping bag. I
couldn't even stand to have fabric cover my legs, yet big bugs would
flutter against my legs. After a few hours it cooled off enough to
drape a bivy sack over part of me. It was nice in the morning. I set
off back to the car and bid good-bye to Trailhacker who continued on.

I drove home to comfortable Santa Barbara and took a nap. Sometime in
the afternoon I thought maybe I should check my phone messages just
in case. There was a message from Trailhacker. He sounded like he was
in dire straights. He sounded weak and his voice was shaky and
exhausted. He said he was turning back. It was just too hot. He
really sounded like he might die. I rushed back to the trail and
worried that I had been irresponsible enough to let him go and kill
himself. Santa Barbara is 3.5 hours away from Cabazon.

When I got to Cabazon I got a hotel and turned on the air conditioner
hoping to create a cool place to take Trailhacker, if I could find
him. It was 120 degrees. (49 Celcius). It was way too hot for me to
go out on the trail and look for him.

Long story short (too late, I know) he didn't make it out of there
until the next morning. It had been 125 degrees (52 C) where he was
and he recognized that he had symptoms of heat exhaustion so he
backtracked to Whitewater creek where he set up a sun shade and
soaked in the creek all day. He waited until morning when it was
cooler to return to the trailhead.

All this is to say that July is probably not the best time to hike
the Southern California portion of the trail. There are pieces you
could do, such as Mt. San Jacinto and the mountains around Big Bear
and Wrightwood, but these sections are very short. You may get lucky
and the hottest it will be is 95, or you could have a heat wave like
Trailhacker got and get 125 degrees. He could have done this hike a
week earlier or later no problem. He likes it hot. But not THAT hot!

If you really want to start your hike at the Mexican border it's best
to do it in April or May. It's delightful then. Usually comfortable
temperatures with warm days and cold nights and pretty flowers even
in the desert.